Application information can be found on the official website at To access the application page, click on “Apply” at the top of the NOBTS front page. The apply page provides links to all of the current NOBTS applications. Please select the correct application link for the level of study in which you wish to apply. Please be aware that there are several supporting documents to be completed with the application. The online application along with all supporting documents must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office before an application can be reviewed for admittance. The application fee is required before applications can be considered.

During the admissions process, applicants are expected to keep track of the delivery of all supporting documents. As documents are received by the Registrar, the student will be notified through the “Checklist” in their profile on

When the necessary information has been received, action will be taken on applications by the Admissions Council. The Council is composed of the President, the Provost, the Dean of Graduate Studies, the Dean of Leavell College, the Registrar, the Academic Advisor, and the Director of Testing. Division chairpersons and others are called upon to assist as needed.

The Registrar will notify applicants of decisions. Applicants will not be admitted until they have received formal notice of approval from the Provost or the Registrar. If an applicant has been denied admission, he or she must wait a minimum of twelve months before he or she can reapply. A full application must be submitted to the proper office after the one year has passed.


To be eligible for admission an applicant must have been a Christian for at least one year, must meet the educational prerequisites for the degree program he or she plans to pursue, and must be at least 20 years of age. All students must have the endorsement of a local church. All qualified applicants are admitted without reference to race, gender, or national origin.


The application should be completed and returned to the Registrar’s Office at least 30 days prior to the date the applicant wishes to enroll. In no case should the application be submitted later than 30 days prior to the beginning of the term. If an applicant has experienced divorce or is an international student, the admissions form should be completed and returned to the Registrar’s Office at least 60 days prior to the anticipated date of enrollment to allow time for interview and personality profiles.

Application materials submitted to the Registrar’s Office are valid for one year from the date filed.

Students who do not enroll within a year after being granted admission to the seminary must file a new application. Students who have been out of the seminary for a full academic year must bring their admission materials up-to-date by submitting an Application for Readmission at under the “Admissions” section. Students who have been out of the seminary for more than three years must file a new application and must re-enter under the latest Catalog.

Campus Transfer

Students who change their campus location from a previously approved campus location must notify the Registrar’s Office by filling out the “Change College Location” request form in the “Student Request Forms” section of Certain campuses may require additional student information before students can attend class.

Degree Transfer

Students who completely change their degree from a previously approved degree must notify the Registrar’s Office by filling out the “Change of Degree” request form in the “Student Request Forms” section of Once this request is submitted the student will be contacted by the Registrar’s Office to discuss the change of degree.
Certain degree changes may require additional student information. The degree change will not be considered official until the Registrar’s Office changes the degree information on the student’s transcript which will be confirmed through the student’s SelfServe account.


In compliance with Public Health regulations in the State of Louisiana for all students in institutions of higher learning, the following immunizations are required for students attending in the State of Louisiana:

  1. Tetanus/Diphtheria - every ten years.

  2. Mumps/Rubella - once in lifetime.

  3. Measles - students born on or after 1/1/57 must have two inoculations since 1968.

The seminary recommends an influenza vaccine in the fall of each year for students with certain health concerns as follows: congenital or acquired heart disease, chronic pulmonary disorders, chronic renal disease or nephrotic syndrome, sickle cell anemia or other chronic anemias, Diabetes Mellitus, any transplant patient or HIV-positive patient, or any student over age 65.

TB testing is required of all New Orleans main campus new students prior to moving on campus or attending coursework. The seminary also recommends a TB-PPD test for any new tuberculosis (TB) exposure. All prior exposures with a positive PPD should be followed by chest X-rays at regular intervals.

Proof of immunizations in writing on official agency letterhead and signed by a health care professional must be provided as a part of the admissions process. Without such proof, the student will not be admitted into the seminary. Immunizations are available in the clinic for a fee. This fee varies each semester, so please feel free to call for information. Students who request exemption for medical reasons must provide documentation by a physician and be cleared for exemption by the campus medical director and the Dean of Students.

Health Insurance

The seminary encourages all students to carry some type of health insurance coverage for themselves and their family members. The seminary does not furnish health insurance for students or their families, and is not responsible for providing health care or financial support for health care expenses. Consult the student handbook for further information regarding health care options.

Divorce and Estrangement

Applicants who are married but living in estrangement from their spouses will be considered on an individual basis. Every effort will be made to be sympathetic with applicants while upholding high Christian principles in keeping with the process outlined below.

Applicants who have been divorced may be admitted to the seminary if they meet the following conditions:

  • that the marriage relationship has been terminated by divorce judgment.

  • that at least one year has passed since the divorce judgment.

  • that the applicants present evidence that they have dealt appropriately with the emotional pain and financial consequences of the divorce;

  • that the applicants’ usefulness in Christian service be highly recommended by a local church and personal references;

  • that both the applicant and spouse (if remarried) are committed to the sanctity of marriage.

Divorced or separated applicants are required to complete a Divorce/Separation Information Form and be interviewed by the seminary counselor. In some cases, the seminary counselor may require the applicant to complete standard psychological tests. The seminary Admissions Council reserves the right to base its decision about admission on the facts found in each case in accordance with the seminary’s policies on divorce.

Current students who experience a separation or divorce will be required to drop out of the seminary for at least a year in order to allow adequate time for the individual to recover emotionally, spiritually, and financially from the pain and scars left by separation and divorce. In such cases, the student and/or non-student spouse will not be allowed to remain in seminary student housing. The specific timetable for the academic withdrawal and vacating housing will be determined by the Dean of Students in light of the circumstances.

Opportunities for service in local churches may be more limited for seminary graduates with a divorce than for other graduates. Divorced applicants should explore a realistic assessment of the range of opportunities of service open to them before pursuing seminary training.

International Students

International students must be able to present evidence that they have earned a degree which is the equivalent of the Bachelor of Arts degree offered in American colleges and universities. International students will need to have their academic records and transcripts evaluated by World Education Services, Inc. (

World Education Services, Inc. should be contacted for information in obtaining the necessary forms. World Education Services, Inc. charges a fee for this evaluation. Please request that World Education Services, Inc. forward directly to the seminary a document-by-document copy of the evaluation.

Students whose native language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or the Duolingo English Test (DET). Those taking the DET must achieve a score of 120 or higher. See chart below for minimum scores for TOEFL based on testing format.

Either the DET or TOEFL must be taken prior to the Admissions Council granting admissions approval. The institutional code for New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary is 6472.

ETS policy dictates that “because English proficiency can change considerably in a relatively short period, scores more than two years old cannot be reported or validated.” Therefore, scores must be no older than 2 years.
United States Immigration regulations make it mandatory that persons entering the United States on a student (F-1) visa show adequate resources for their seminary training. Therefore, international students will need to provide a written certification from a bank or similar financial agency certifying they presently have on deposit in a savings account the minimal requirement for one year of study at the seminary for a single or a married student. Applicants may contact the International Student Advisor in the Registrar’s Office for the adequate funds required.

To fulfill Department of Homeland Security requirements, international students must maintain full-time status, which equates to nine (9) graduate semester hours per semester. Students must maintain full-time status in order to remain in campus housing.


Paper-Based Test

Computer-Based Test

Internet-Based Test

Composite Score




Writing Score




English Competency

All new master’s-level students are required to demonstrate a level of competency for reading and writing in the English language that is consistent with graduate-level coursework. Level of competency will be determined by analysis of undergraduate transcripts. Individuals with a combined GPA of less than 2.0 in undergraduate English coursework will be required to enroll in English Composition during the first semester of study at NOBTS. Students required to take English Composition will receive notification in their letter of acceptance.

Orientation and Registration

All students enrolling in New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary for the first time will be expected to complete online orientation on Blackboard. Students who have selected either the main campus or an extension center as their preferred campus will also be required to attend orientation at their respective campuses (online students are not required to attend a campus orientation). Once a student’s application is approved, the student must complete their orientation requirement at the next available orientation. Students who do not complete the orientation requirement as specified will be charged a late orientation fee and required to participate in the next available orientation. (See Student Fees page of this catalog.)

Online orientation will educate students regarding the general academic policies of the seminary. During campus orientation, students will receive additional information particular to their campus, as well as opportunities to interact with professors and other students. Former students who are required to reapply to the seminary will be expected to complete their orientation according to the specific instructions received from the Dean of Students Office.

New students will register at their campus orientation, but new online students will be eligible to register as soon as they are approved. When enrolling at a term other than fall or spring, new students should check with the Registrar’s Office for official instructions. Students should check and The Gatekeeper for announcements related to registration and tuition. Registration for fall and spring semesters concludes at 4:00 PM (New Orleans time) on the Friday before the first day of the semester, and a late registration fee will be assessed for students failing to meet the deadline.

No admissions will be granted after 4:00 PM (New Orleans time) on Friday of the second week of class meetings each regular semester.

Credit Evaluation

Academic credits may be transferred from other institutions toward a baccalaureate or master’s degree in some cases, if they meet the following stipulations:

  • A minimum of 1/3 of the credit hours in a degree must be taken at NOBTS. These credit hours can be taken either at the main campus, at any of the current extension centers, or through online courses.

  • All courses transferred must be substantially parallel to the offerings of NOBTS and fulfill the requirements of the relevant degree plan.

    Courses which do not fulfill the requirements of the degree being sought cannot be transferred.

  • Credit hours from seminaries which are members of ATS (the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada) must carry a grade of at least a “C” to be transferred.

  • Credit hours from academic institutions accredited by an agency recognized by CHEA must carry a grade of at least a “B” to be transferred.

  • Credit hours to be transferred from academic institutions not accredited by an agency recognized by CHEA must carry a grade of at least a “B” and preferably be earned in on-site classes rather than through correspondence; up to 18 hours can be transferred.

  • The decision of the Registrar and Provost is final with regard to the evaluation of all graduate transfer credits.

A credit evaluation may be requested by filling out the “Request a Transcript Evaluation” request form in the “Student Request Forms” section of Credit evaluation can take up to 30 days to complete; this is from the point of receiving all documents that are needed from the student and the previous institution.

Degree to Degree Transfer Credits

NOBTS values continuing education of Christian ministers. Therefore, we want to facilitate ministers earning second degrees to the extent allowed by accreditation principles. Transfer of MA credit hours into the larger MDiv are covered in an existing policy. This policy addresses transferring credit hours from a degree with more credit hours to a degree with fewer credit hours.

Students with a degree from Other institutions - Accreditation rules dictate that in transferring credit hours from a different institution , the following guidelines should be followed:

  • At least one-third of the shorter degree must be earned at NOBTS. In addition, only those credit hours which fit into the NOBTS degree as required or elective courses may be transferred. Courses differ some in content between institutions. Submitting a catalog description of the courses, or preferably syllabi listing learning outcomes for the course, is helpful in evaluating these transcripts.

Students with a degree from NOBTS - Since NOBTS students with longer degrees have taken the same courses with the same learning outcomes that pertain to shorter degrees, the following guidelines pertain:

  • Some MA type degree programs at NOBTS have special admission requirements not required for admission to the MDiv. The student who seeks the second degree must meet all of the entrance requirements for the MA type degree.

  • All courses required in both degrees transfer from the longer degree into the shorter degree, being understood as dual or sequential degree programs.

  • Even if all of the required courses transfer from the longer degree to the shorter type degree, the student must earn at least one-third of the hours required for the second degree in the relevant or cognate disciplines to receive the second degree.

Full-time Course Load

A full-time graduate student load on the main campus is a minimum of nine (9) credit hours per semester, while a full-time load for extension center graduate students is a minimum of two courses per semester. Only regular semester and hybrid courses count toward full-time load. (Internet classes, independent directed studies, practicums, and academic intensives do not count toward full-time load). Students must have full-time status to be eligible for financial aid and student housing. When withdrawal from a class places the student’s course load at less than nine credit hours, the student can lose eligibility for financial aid and student housing.

Maximum Course Load

Maximum course load is 18 credit hours per semester (which includes all courses taken within the semester). Students desiring to take additional courses must have the approval of the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies.